Tuesday, January 08, 2008

As heard in the coffee shop. . .

Coffee shops are interesting places to sit and inconspicuously listen to interesting conversations of those around you. I mean, honestly, when you take a book and go to Starbucks to study, how much of that time are you truly immersed in chemistry? How much of the time are you staring at the page and not truly reading a word but learning a lot about the philosophy of the people at the next table? I've heard many interesting things sitting at the local Starbucks but the quote that I can remember today was heard as mom and I were traveling home from Visiting Amy last week. When mom and I stop at a Starbucks on the road it's never just to get that caffeine fix. It always includes a use of the "facilites" as well. I was innocently sitting at a table sipping my Grande White Chocolate Mocha and waiting on mom when the nearby conversation between a mom and two daughters caught my attention. The older daughter (college age) declared to her mom and sister, "The fun of going to parties is lying about them." My thoughts pause, my head turns to see what the mother's response will be. My eyes see the mom's head nod in affirmation. My ears hear "of course" pass through the mother's lips. My brain becomes befuddled. I mean, who does she have to lie to? The most likely people are her parents and she's just confessed this to her mom who agreed with her!

I hope to post more "as heard in the coffee shop" entries as I hear them.

2 comments:

uj said...

how do you know it was her mom? huh? a bit of an eaves dropping snoop, huh? come visit nyc...you hear it in all languages. tasty!!
uj

Mel said...

Well, I didn't walk up to her and ask for papers to prove that they were mother and daughter but the young lady called the other woman "mom."

It would be neat to sit in an NYC coffee shop but, I wouldn't understand much if any of the other languages. . .