Monday, March 19, 2007

We're stateside again

Hello!

Sorry I quit posting. My plan was to blog on Friday afternoon after everything was closed and Ashley had to go somewhere. Well, when I sat down to do it I discovered that the interenet was down. It wasn't back up until a very short time before we had to leave so I spent the time with my friend instead of online. Sorry!

Our trip was rather uneventful and smooth. We did shed some tears as we embarked on the journey though. As we were packing our stuff in Jerusalem we couldn't figure out if we were packing to leave home or to go home. Jerusalem felt so homelike to all of us. We don't quite understand that because we're not city people but it just felt wonderful to be there. I was asked as on our very last plane today if I would turn around and go back right then. Without batting an eye I said yes! I'd get right back on a plane right now if someone offered a ticket to me. No, I don't just love flying. In fact since I've had some sinus issues this past week landing was very miserable all but the 5th time.

The weather cleared up for our last day of touring on Sunday. We also got to grab some Shwarma and falafel for our last meal in Eretz Israel and then Ashley and I walked down to Ben Yehudah and went to Aroma for a last ice coffee. Too bad I couldn't bring some back with me. I did however have a few shekels to use up so I got some wonderful cookies that come with carmel inbetween two sugar cookies (yummy! Best with ice coffee). At the airport I got a final bottle of Limonana (lemonade with nana which is a mint plant).

We went to the kotel (Western wall/ Wailing Wall) on Sunday. It was rather packed compared to when we;d gone before. It's moving to see so many praying together. Friday we went to Yad Vashem (the holocaust museum). Our guide was wonderful and the museum was very moving. After we left Ashley and I talked about how we'd been so frustrated when we were drenched and cold the day before. Then after being at the museum it seemed such a silly thing to have upset us. I mean, we were able to go back to the apartment with warm food in our hands and in a matter of moments shed the wet clothes and put on dry ones. Yes, we were very chilled and uncomfortable but it didn't last a long time and we had no fear of being killed at any moment.

Well, there's so much to tell. Once I get some batteries for my camera I plan on posting more pictures.

Shalom and thanks for the prayers!
Mel and family

1 comment:

Morgan said...

Great post, Mel. I am sorry you had to leave home to come back to the states. Maybe you can go back someday. I wish I could visit myself, but your descriptions and pictures have transported me there!
I can't wait for more pictures, thanks so much for the updates. God Bless, Mel!